Diabetes is a serious disease that can develop from the lack of insulin production in the body or due to the inability of the body’s insulin to perform its normal everyday functions. Insulin is a substance produced from the pancreas gland that helps process the food we eat and turn it into energy.
Of the twenty million Americans with diabetes, it has been estimated that 25% will develop foot problems related to the disease. Diabetic foot conditions develop from a combination of causes, including poor circulation and neuropathy. Those suffering from neuropathy can develop minor cuts, scrapes, blisters, or pressure sores that may not be felt due to intensity. If these minor injuries are left untreated, complications may result and lead to ulceration and possibly even amputation. Neuropathy can also cause deformities such as Bunions, Hammer Toes, and Charcot Feet.
Diabetes often leads to peripheral vascular disease, which inhibits a person’s blood circulation. Poor circulation contributes to diabetic foot problems by reducing the amount of oxygen and nutrition supplied to the skin and other tissue, therefore inhibiting the healing of injuries. Poor circulation can also lead to swelling and dryness of the foot. Preventing foot complications is more critical for the patient with diabetes, since poor circulation impairs the healing process and can lead to ulcers, infections, and other serious foot conditions.
Your Daily Care
It is very important for those with diabetes to take the necessary precautions to prevent all foot related injuries. Due to the consequences of neuropathy, daily observation of the feet is critical. By taking the necessary preventative footcare measures, you can help reduce the risks of serious foot conditions.
Foot Health Do’s
- Inspect your feet daily for blisters, cuts, and scratches. Always check between your toes.
- Wear shoes that are designed to protect your feet from injury.
- Wash your feet daily. Dry carefully.
- Avoid extreme temperatures. Test water with your hands or elbow before bathing.
- If your feet feel cold at night, wear socks.
- Inspect the insides of your shoes daily for foreign objects and rough areas.
- Shoes should be fitted by a footcare specialist and be comfortable at the time of purchase.
- See your physician regularly and be sure to have your feet examined at each visit.
Foot Health Don’t’s
- Don’t smoke.
- Don’t soak your feet in hot water.
- Don’t walk on hot surfaces such as sandy beaches or on the cement around swimming pools.
- Don’t walk barefooted.
- Don’t use chemical agents for the removal of corns and calluses.
- Don’t wear mended stockings and avoid stockings or socks with exposed seams.
- Don’t use oil or cream between your toes.
- Don’t wear sandals with thongs between the toes.
- Don’t cut corns or calluses; see your physician.
- Don’t wear shoes with pointed toe areas.
Recommended Footwear For Diabetes:
Ambulators are widely recognized as the #1 recommended footwear line for people with diabetes related foot problems. Over the years, these unique shoes have provided comfort, therapy and protection to millions of people throughout the world. Ambilators feature multiple removable insoles for triple depth and fitting flexibility, Hidden-Depth Rockers Soles, firm heel counters, high toe boxes and much more.
Ambulators were developed by combining the latest research on biomechanics and the highest quality material available. This unique line of footwear incorporates therapeutic features with contemporary styling that’s appealing in both casual and workplace environments. Originally designed specifically to promote healing and to encourage mobility, Ambutators are now also for anyone who wants maximum comfort and protection.
Aetrex Footwear combines the latest developments in pedorthics with state-of-the-art shoe design. These unique shoes offer innovative comfort and performance features that allow the footwear to meet your individual footcare needs.
All Aetrex shoes were created by a team led by renowned footwear designer Ruk Peterson and provided a combination of stability, control and cushioning not seen in any other line. In addition, every shoe incorporates Aetrex’s Patented Mozaic Customization Technology, allowing you to easily customize the fit and comfort.
Aetrex Performance Footwear provides an equal distribution of pressure throughout the gait cycle while maintaining the highest standards in comfort, breathability and overall support. With Aetrex, you can continue to live life your way, enjoying the activities that you love most.
Source Aetrex: http://www.products.foot.com/literature/